- Pub »
Ye Olde Cock Tavern
The pub that moved across the road, is here.
The Cock Tavern was replaced in 1887 by a Bank, but instead of being demolished it was moved piece by piece across the road. Ironically the Bank itself has now been replaced by a pub too. Many original features made it across the road such as the fireplace, its overmantle and the ornamental cockerell, all thought to be the work of master carver Grinling Gibbons (1648-1721). Sadly a fire destroyed much of the interior in 1990.