Go forth and Sew
  1. Museum »

Go forth and Sew

Founded in 1946 and an internationally renowned organisation


The Wimbledon Sewing Machine Company Limited was founded in 1946 by Thomas Albert Rushton, who traded from a shop in Merton Road, South Wimbledon.

Over the years the company has evolved into the internationally renowned organisation you see today, incorporating a diverse cross section of sewing related products.

The company is still a family owned and run business, the present Managing Director is Ray Rushton son of the founder. Ray's wife, son and daughter are all involved in the business.

After opening in May 2000, the London Sewing Machine Museum, which is dedicated to the company's founder Thomas Albert Rushton, is a culmination of 50 years of collecting antique machines by Ray Rushton and the company. The museum contains a replica of the original shop in Merton Road as well as over 600 domestic and industrial machines dating from the 1850's through to the 1950's.

Location: 308 Balham High Road, SW17 7AA