- Grave »
Royal Mint Black Death Cemetery
This is the site of the first Black Death cemetary in London.
This is the Royal Mint medieval cemetery, as excavated in 1986-88 and which covered approximately 2 hectares here. The cemetery was in use during 1348-1350 and was the first established Black Death cemetery in London.
By 1988 a total of 558 burials were excavated from the western cemetery; 300 individuals were uncovered from mass graves and a further 258 from single inhumation graves. The eastern cemetery revealed 192 individuals; 102 from mass graves and 90 individuals from single inhumations.
It is estimated that approximately 40-50% of the cemetery is still in-situ below the Royal Mint's courtyard.
After the Dissolution the abbey and infirmary passed into private hands and c1560 was purchased by the Crown and converted into a victualling yard for the Royal Navy, which used most of the existing buildings until the mid-17th century.