- Religion »
A Right Religious Residence
This is the pad of the Archbishop of Canterbury
'Lambeth Palace' is the official London residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury, located in Lambeth, beside the River Thames opposite the Palace of Westminster. It was acquired by the archbishopric around 1200.
The oldest remaining part of the palace is the Early English chapel. The so-called Lollard's Tower, which retains evidence of its use as a prison in the 17th century, dates from 1440.
New construction was added to the building in 1834 by Edward Blore (1787-1879), who rebuilt much of Buckingham Palace later. Here his work is neo-Gothic enough to have satisfied Sir Walter Scott, and it fronts a spacious quadrangle. It is these buildings which are now inhabited by the archbishop.