- River »
The York Watergate
Where the Thames used to come to before the Thames Embankment.
These old ornate gates site strangely within Embankment Gardens, but used to be the bottom of a mansion's garden leading into the Thames. This is the spot where the Thames used to run to before it was narrowed some 150 yards on the bend here for the construction of the Thames Embankment (in 1864-70 by Sir Joseph Bazalgette).
The York Watergate was built in 1626 for George Villiers, first Duke of Buckingham who owned a grand mansion between here and The Strand.