- Church »
St John's Churchyard
This was the churchyard of St John's Wapping
This was the churchyard of St John's Wapping.
The church itself was built in 1756 in red brick with white stone dressings, so that it would stand out amidst the dark and murky atmosphere of the area.
It was bombed in the Second World War and only the tower remains. The building was converted into apartments after the removal of over 100 bodies from the crypt.
Next door is the former charity school with the figure of a boy over one entrance and a girl over the other.