- Sport »
Green Pond Road Stadium
The former home of Walthamstow Avenue, and 1948 Olympic venue.
Green Pond Road was the home of Walthamstow Avenue Football Club (founded in 1900) for many years until in 1989 they merged with Leytonstone & Ilford to form Redbridge Forest, a precursor to Dagenham & Redbridge.
...Alas it was then demolished and turned into housing.
The stadium's record attendance was 21,708 for Turkey v China during the 1948 Olympics football tournament. Indeed this ground was East London's only venue in the 1948 Olympics. The ground was referred to be by most fans as 'The Pond'.
The last game played at Green Pond Road was the last game of the 1988/89 season (on Saturday 13 May 1989), when Leytonstone/Ilford defeated Farnborough Town 5-3. Leytonstone had finished the season as Champions of the Vauxhall-Opel (Isthmian) League Premier Division, with Farnborough in second place.
They won the Isthmian League in 1946, 1953 and 1954. One of their players, Jim Lewis won a full England international cap in 1939. They won the FA Amateur Cup in 1952 and 1961. The 1952 final was the first Amateur Cup final to attract a 100,000 gate at Wembley.