- Literary »
Doves Bindery and Press
Thomas Cobden-Sanderson set up a book binding company here
This is the grade 2 listed house that publisher Thomas Cobden-Sanderson set up as a book binding company in 1893 and then as a publisher in 1900. A stone plaque records that Cobden-Sanderson lived here from 1840-1922.
In 1916 he closed the press and was so adamant that no-one restart it that he threw all his print setting equipment into the River Thames opposite.
The companies were named after the 18th centruy public house a few doors down The Dove.