- Industry »
William Tierney Clark lived here
William Tierney Clark, designer of bridges, lived here
William Tierney Clark (1783-1852)designed the first suspension bridge to span the River Thames - Hammersmith Bridge, which opened in 1827. He was a civil engineer at the West Middlesex Water Works.
And he lived in this very house - in fact he lived and died in Hammersmith with his memorial in the local parish church, St Paul's, showing an outline of his design for the nearby bridge - since replaced by a design by Sir Joseph Bazalgette. Further afield, there is a street in Buda named after him and he is commemorated by an annual award made by the Association of Hungarian Consulting Engineers and Architects: the Tierney Clark Award for Civil Engineering.