- Church »
The Holy Trinity and Clowns
The church that houses a clown egg museum.
Holy Trinity was built in 1879 on Beechwood Road (then called Woodland Street) by architect Ewan Christian - a noted restorer rather than designer.
The parish was joined with St Philip, Dalston sometime before 1952, after St Philip's was destroyed during the Second World War.
There is a bizarre museum of tributes to famous clowns in the form of eggs, and an annual memorial service takes place here for Clowns International (in full costume) on the first Sunday in February. It's called the Grimaldi Service in honour of the great father of clowning and London boy Joseph Grimaldi.
The chairman of Clowns International Stan Bult began the tradition in 1946 and long after his death it was resurrected.
Clown Joseph Grimaldi lived here
Father of clowning Joe Grimaldi, lived here.