- Church »
London Sculpture Comes Home
Dr Peter Turner bust returns to St Olave's Church after robbery
A sculpture looted from a London church during the Blitz is to be returned to its former home (July 2011).
The bust of Dr Peter Turner, an eminent physician and botanist, was taken from St Olave's in the City of London on 17 April 1941.
The sculpture, dating from 1614, was recovered by a curator at the Museum of London, who found out about an upcoming auction listing the statue in 2010.
The Art Loss Register investigated and the bust was removed from the sale.
The bust, worth an estimated 70,000 pounds, was traced back to several owners across Europe, including one in the Netherlands.
Investigators believe the bust was stolen during an air raid.
St Olave's was finally reunited with the bust on 21 June this year, more than 70 years after it was lost from the building's rubble.
St Olave's is one of the few surviving mediaeval buildings in The City of London and the burial place of Samuel Pepys. With many links to historic City organisations, this little church is sought after by many as a place of spiritual encounter and refreshment.