The Old Dispensary
The oldest building in Stratford is this old Dispensary.
The Old Dispensary is a grand old early 18th century timber-framed and weatherboarded building on the edge of Stratford Town Centre.
This was the beginnings of what later became Queen Mary Hospital. Mrs Mary Curtis provided the building and refused to charge rent.
Dr William Elliot opened the dispensary for the local poor in Newham until 1861 when Mary Curtis provided land in West Ham Lane for a new dispensary.
It is now Grade II listed.