West Norwood Cemetary
  1. Grave »

West Norwood Cemetary

West Norwood's historic cemetary.


West Norwood Cemetery is a 40-acre cemetery once known as the South Metropolitan Cemetery. It's one of the first privately landscaped cemeteries in London, and was acclaimed as one of the Magnificent Seven cemeteries of London.

It includes 69 Grade II and Grade II* listed buildings and structures, including a spectacular Greek Orthodox necropolis featuring 19 listed mausoleums and monuments.

It was founded in 1836 and opened for burials a year later. It's built on the site of the ancient Great North Wood, from which Norwood took its name. One ancient oak here dates back to the 16th century.

Major damage occurred during the war from German flying bombs particularly to the two chapels.

Today it is a site of major historical, architectural and ecological interest.

Location: Norwood Road, West Norwood