- Society »
Once a Gun Safe House
This is where in 1955, Police found a cache of IRA guns
In the course of the 20th Century, the Irish community in Islington continued to grow, and Irish terrorism started to periodically operate from safe houses on the Caledonian Road.
In 1955, a cache of Bren Guns and other guns were discovered in the cellar of 257 Caledonian Road.
The IRAs involvement in the area tied the Caledonian Road into a wider sense of tension across the whole capital, a state of affairs that persisted into the 1990's.