- Tube »
Earl's Court's Escalators
This is where Bumper Harris tested escalators for the 1st time.
Earl's Court station is grade II listed and was opened on 12 April 1869 for what is now the District Line, anbd gradually opened other platforms and lines over the next few years.
In 1911 London Underground's first escalators were installed here on brand new passageways beneath the surface platforms down to the rail platforms.
There are stories (without much substance it appears) of a one-legged man named Bumper Harris travelling all day on the escalator to demonstrate its safety.