- Murder »
The Working Lads Institute
The grand building where Ripper murders inquests took place.
This grand building is the former Working Lads Institute, the name of which can still be seen high up on the gable.
It was founded in 1878 by Henry Hill, a city merchant, to keep them out of mischief of pubs and music taverns. They moved here in 1885 when it was grandly opened by the Princess of Wales and it had a library, educational classes, a fully equipped gymnasium with a qualified instructor, and swimming baths.
It's also famous for being the building where the inquests into the deaths of several of Jack the Ripper's victims took place.
The inquest for the first victim Mary Ann 'Polly' Nichols was conducted by Wynne Edwin Baxter on 1 September 1888 at the Working Lads' Institute in Whitechapel Road, and was attended by Detective Inspectors Frederick Abberline and Helson and Sergeants Godley and Enright on behalf of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID).
Today the building built by George Baines has been converted to apartments, but the grand facade remains in tact.