- Nature »
Primrose Hill was once called Greenberry Hill after 3 murderers.
Primrose Hill rises to 219 feet with fab views of London, and once (not surprisingly) covered by Primroses. It was turned into a public space in 1853 thanks to a Mr Hume MP exchanging a piece of Crown land near Windsor for it from Eton College.
It used to be called Greenberry Hill, and allegedly (and probably coincidentally) to have been named after Robert Green, Henry Berry, and Lawrence Hill, who were executed in 1682 for the murder of rich timber merchant Sir Edmundbury Godfrey, a Justice of the Peace. It's thought that the 3 accused brought the body to Primrose Hill after murdering him at Somerset House.