- Industry »
Andrex 2-ply invented here
The place where 2-play toilet paper was invented.
These flats are where Andrex, one of the world's leading brands of toilet paper, was created. In fact, it's also where 2-ply toilet tissue was invented.
In 1932 St Andrew Mills Ltd, opened here on St Andrews Road, as a standard manufacturer of paper. It was 10 years though until they pioneered the production of two-ply toilet tissue on a roll.
They launched it as 'Androll' using the road name for the first time in their marketing. In the next few years they rebranded it as 'Andrex'.