- Theatre »
The Royal Court Theatre
Non-commercial theatre staging modern plays and musicals.
Today the Grade II listed Royal Court Theatre is a non-commercial theatre noted for its contributions to modern theatre.
Originally it was a converted Nonconformist Ranelagh Chapel, eventually opening as a theatre in 1870 called The New Chelsea Theatre.
Marie Litton became its manager in 1871, hiring Walter Emden to remodel the interior, and it was renamed the Court Theatre going on to stage some of WS Gilbert's early plays.
The splendid present building opened on 24 September 1888 and was designed by Walter Emden and Bertie Crewe.
It ceased to be used as a theatre in 1932 but was used as a cinema from 1935 to 1940, until World War II bomb damage closed it.
In 1956 it was acquired by and is home to a resident company, the English Stage Company.