- Church »
The only round church in London, and built by the Templars.
The Church was built by the Knights Templar, the order of crusading monks founded to protect pilgrims on their way to and from Jerusalem in the 12th century. The Church is in two parts: the Round and the Chancel.
It's one of 5 round churches left in Britain the only one remaining in London.
In the Round Church you will find the life-size stone effigies of nine knights. Most famous of these knights was William the Marshal, Earl of Pembroke, the most important mediator between King John and the Barons in 1215. John was at the Temple in January 1215 when the barons demanded that he confirm the rights enshrined in the Coronation Charter of his predecessor; it was William who swore on the King's behalf that the barons' grievances would be satisfied in the summer. William became Regent in the minority of Henry III.
This is featured in Dan Brown's famous book The Da Vinci Code where Teabing tries to throw Robert and Sophie off of the trail of the truth, and also the penitential cell which housed prisoners in the 12th and 13th centuries.