- Pub »
Cittie Of Yorke
An inn has stood on this site since 1430
An inn has stood on this site since 1430 (although the earliest bits on show now date from around 1645 and most of the interior is from the end of the 19th century). It's impressively galleried down one side with large barrels.
Half way between Fleet Street and Gray's Inn, it's famous for its long bar called Henekey's, the former name of this pub in the 1970's, and part of the same named bar chain. Sam Smith's gave it the name Cittie of York when it acquired Henekey's, naming it after a long demolished pub nearby.
It was rebuilt around 1922/23, in what was then a reaction against the Victorian mahogany-and-mirrors style of pubs like the Princess Louise down the road.
The curious cast-iron stove in the centre of the hall is a classic piece of Victoriana with it's lack of pipes and secreted smoke-removal system through the floor and walls.