London Orphan Asylum
The grand remains of the Orphan Asylum turned art object.
Only the portico remains of the grand 1821 Orphan Asylum founded by Reverend Andrew Reed for orphans from 'respectable' families reflecting the status that Clapton held then.
James Edmeston wrote 2000 hymns here, for the children to learn and recite.
The asylum was closed in 1866 when typhoid hit, and the Salvation Army moved in in 1882 and renamed it Clapton Congress Hall.
It returned briefly to its role as providing asylum to children when in 1937, 400 Basque refugee children from the Spanish Civil War were accommodated here.
In 1970 they moved out to Laura Place round the corner. Eight years later the main buildings were demolished, leaving just the portico and colonnades.
Turner prize winner Martin Creed brought it back to the people with a garish neon sign saying 'Everything is going to be alright', something the locals took to.