The Pavlova Statue
The Anna Pavlova statue returns after being lost 60 years ago.
Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova, who died in 1931, appeared on stage at the newly opened Victoria Palace in 1911 and the theatres original owner, Alfred Butt, erected a statue in homage to her on the roof.
Anna Pavlova would never look at the original when she passed by, as she was quite superstitious about it.
However, it was removed in 1939 to save it from the blitz, and promptly disappeared.
In June 2006, a replica statue created by Harry Franchetti was winched aloft, restoring Pavlova to her rightful place.
The statue, which sees Pavlova in a classical tutu in the arabesque position, was designed from studies of a photograph of the original statue. What happened to the original, however, remains a mystery. We assume either she was melted down and became part of the war effort or shes still in somebodys garden, said Waley-Cohen.
The ballerina was born in St Petersburg in 1881 and attended the Imperial Ballet School at the Mariinsky theatre, where her tutor was Marius Petipa. After becoming the Mariinskys principal ballerina she toured the world, setting up home in London where she established a dance school at Ivy House. Renowned throughout the world, Pavlovas name also became known in the culinary world after an antipodean chef created a meringue pudding to celebrate a visit by the dancer. The exact origin of the dessert is disputed however, with both Australia and New Zealand claiming credit.