An early Tudor manor house, used by Henry VIII.
Bromley Hall is an early Tudor period manor house in Bow, Tower Hamlets, London. Located on the Blackwall Tunnel northern approach road, it is now owned and restored by Leaside Regeneration.
The Hall is thought to be the oldest brick house in London and was built by Holy Trinity Priory in the 1490s on the foundations of the 12th century Lower Bramerley Manor. These remain visible today in the cellar.
Bromley Hall, recently named winner of this yearís RICS* Building Conservation Award, was originally built by Holy Trinity Priory in the 1490ís and after it was seized by the crown in 1531, it became a haunt of Henry VIII who extravagantly refurbished it with rich tapestries and paintings. Traces of the early decoration remain to this day. Examples include a carved hunting scene, 1490ís beams with the leather washers that hung the tapestries, Tudor windows and most spectacularly three wall paintings dating from the 15th and 16th centuries.