- Pub »
The Lamb and Flag
Opened in 1627, the oldest tavern in central Covent Garden
Opened in 1627, this is the oldest tavern in central Covent Garden, and one of the oldest in England.
It was nicknamed The Bucket of Blood after the bare knuckle boxing fights that regularly took place in the room upstairs and then in the courtyard outside.
The upstairs bar is named the Dryden Bar, after the poet John Dryden who frequented the pub and was allegedly attacked in the narrow alleyway next to the pub. Charles Dickens also drank here.