- Theatre »
Drury Lanes Pantomime Fountain
This is where mr pantomime Augustus Harris is commemorated.
The fountain here at the entrance to the Drury Lane Theatre contains a design of the common Masonic emblems - the square and compasses. Its a publicly funded memorial to Sir Augustus Harris, who became the lessee of the Drury Lane Theatre in 1879.
Harris was was initiated into the freemasons in 1875 in the lodge of St Clair in Edinburgh, and by 1879 managed this theatre as well as Covent Garden, The Olympic and Her Majesty's. He was also the Sheriff of the city of London and was knighted in 1891.
He founded the Drury Lane Lodge which met at the Drury Lane Theatre, and he was appointed treasurer of the Grand Lodge in 1890.
His lasting legacy is probably as The Father of Modern pantomime, where he took them to a spectacular level never been seen before.