- Pub »
This is London's only surviving galleried coaching inn, 1676
The George is London's only surviving galleried coaching inn. Rebuilt in 1676, after a devastating fire swept Southwark, it was one of many such inns in the area. It was first heard of in 1554, ten years before Shakespeare was born.
The Old Bar was the waiting room, for coachmen and passengers.
The Middle Bar was the Coffee Room, a haunt of Charles Dickens and features in Little Dorrit where Maggy tells young Tip he has to go to the George to write a begging letter.
It is now in the safe hands of the National Trust.